My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Stereotypes

Generally stereotypes are thought of as a bad thing in our culture, but they always come from somewhere.

This week I stepped into an antique shop, I collect cufflinks and antique shops can be the best place to buy them, and I met a gay stereotype. He was a well dressed, fruity little, antique dealer. He described things as lovely and gorgeous and did the thing with his wrist when he pointed at things.

Other than the many teenage girls who are valley girl stereotypes, I don't meet them often. Most athletes are not morons, most blondes are not ditsy, and most jews are not cheep. (I have met stereotypes of each of these, but not often). But does that make stereotypes bad. I don't think that it does. I don't mind when the Mormon stereotype is applied to me, at least as a baseline while someone gets to know me better.

this blog doesn't quite capture the thought I want, I might revise it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home