My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving

So, my uncle Fred in Utah has a project under way and invited the family to come to Thanksgiving and help. (this sort of thing is a Pinnegar family tradition but I usually associate it with Memorial day or 4th of July or Labor day, one of the warmer holidays) My dad decided he would go, but indicated he would leave the option open to all of his older children. David decided that he and his family would do a Thanksgiving camping trip, because the had wanted to go camping all year, but with being pregnant/ having a new baby this was the first chance to do so. Devon chose Utah and when the logistics were worked out so did Jeremy.

I had to think long and hard about this. I knew I would be scheduled to work Thanksgiving unless I requested it off well in advance. I also plan to request considerable time off in December so I didn't feel I could afford to take the whole week off. I decided I would not go to Utah. I thought about joining David for a night and day, but that also proved unrealistic without requesting time off.

In the end it was decided that I would watch the house and do Thanksgiving early in the day with Grandma.

We decided to go to Mimi's Cafe for lunch. The food was not as good as mom's but it was good (except the sweet potatoes which they did wrong) and it was nice to spend some time with grandma. after lunch we sat and talked for an hour or so and then I went in to work where everything was quite and uneventful.

I have never done Thanksgiving without a family around (on the mission it was not my family but there was a family around) and it was odd. I enjoyed being with Grandma but I missed the noise and smells of a busy holiday kitchen, and the greetings and visiting with people you may not see often. It was a bit weird for me to eat out for a holiday diner and I missed the left overs (Genvieve helped out there, and invited me to left over lunch the next day and sent me home with some turkey) I think I understand better now why the holidays are a hard time for some people and feel even stronger about sharing the holidays with those alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home