My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

How can a day not be good when you get to skip rocks?

Friday was a very good day.

I woke up after a night of troubled sleep and went to my parents to pick up a few needed things, and then went to pick up Scotty. T. Scott Rowan is in town because of a concern he played Thursday night and so I get to hang out with him.

We start out by going to the 8:30 temple session, which was great as always. When it is over Scotty says to me I am hungry can I buy you lunch. This is a proposition to which I am completely amenable, so we go to Beech Hut Deli, where I get my favorite sandwich: The Woody. Tim had one of their open face BBQ sandwiches and enjoyed his as well.

Then I drove us out to the Salmon Falls trail head, for our plan from the very beginning had been to go on a hike. But, somehow, in stead of the trail we gravitate towards the river (having dismissed rappelling from the bridge as an option) and of course my eye turns to the shore in search of flat round stones. I find one! I pick it up and carefully examine it. I grasp it between my thumb and index finger, I cock my arm back and let fly. The stone stuck the water and instead of sinking (as stones most often do when they have an intimate encounter with a body of water) it skipped back up into the air. It came done again a few feat away, and much to my delight, it skipped back up again. This time, however, nature took her course and the rock suck tragically to the bottom of the river. My revelry at this wondrous event is soon interrupted with a CAHHHCHUNK noise and a splash. Scotty has Throne a large rock into the smooth water and has a look of exuberance on his face.

For the next hour we repeat this course of action. Sometimes throwing smooth small stones so that gleefully skip across the water and sometimes throwing large rocks that make fun noises and send the displaced water flying to impressive heights. Meanwhile we talk of this and that: what we have lately read and what turns our lives have taken since we last spent time together. After about an hour we concluded that we were done at the river and would go see Devon, but before we left there was a thing that must be done. We each selected as large a rock as we felt comfortable carrying and strode up the path to the bridge and with child like delight we dropped these rocks from the bridge into the water from a height of at least 50 feet. Even now, recalling the slash as my stone struck the rippling translucent surface brings joy to my heart.

Next the two of us drove to Devon's work where he treated us to a free race. He however had to go to Costco and could only chat for a moment. I was very pleased to discover that RPM has new racing karts with adjustable seats, because the thing that has limited my enjoyment of the RPM experience in the past has been a lack of leg room. My best lap was 23.7 seconds and Scotty's was 27 point something, I think. At this point Devon was gone and Thus we quietly snuk out the back door, since it was getting to be time for me to go to work.

Before heading to work proper, I had been asked by my boss the day before to come into the office. Since the company office is on the way home from RPM I asked Scotty if he would mind waiting while I went in and saw my boss. He indicated to me that he would rather be rolled in shards of broken glass and then dipped in boiling lemon juice, so I went to the office.

I am always apprehensive when I am asked to go to the office, that is just how I perceive bosses in general and has nothing to do with either my current boss or my behavior at work. So when I arrived and the only people there were the GM, Todd, and the owner, Bryon and Todd said do you want to tell him or should I, I freaked out, just a little, on the inside. Then Bryon had me come into his office, frowned at me and said, "Is there anything you want to tell us(Todd had come in as well and shut the door behind him, even though there was no one else in the building)"

My mind raced, had a client complained about my driving to fast, had I missed something important and obvious on patrol, were my site times wrong, had a automatic stoplight ticket been mailed in (not that I make a habit of running stoplights, but one can never know.) these and other thoughts raced through my head as I gave him a puzzled look and said, "No".

He replied "Good" and then proceeded to tell me that they had decided to promote me to Captain, (to which I tactlessly responded good because I had been thinking about asking for a raise). They then briefly filled me in on my new responsibilities, which I feel will be easy enough, and then sent me on my way with a generous "cash bonus" for coming into the office.

I then took Scotty to my parent's and proceeded to work where nothing happened that could have in anyway reduced the goodness of my day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good day, though mine was better (though I received no "cash bonus" I did get to kick your family and with our good friend Karisa as well as to see/hear Christian Kiefer's band play). Replete with amiability and merriment.

For the record: My RPM time was 24.7.

Also: you neglected to mention the eventful fall of my rock, which was slightly larger than yours. Though thoroughly entertained by the splash of your rock, I opted to release mine from 60 ft over an enormous bolder. Though rocks are traditionally rather solid, it was exilarating to see this rock, upon collision, shader into pieces.

November 18, 2007 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home