My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Monday, November 28, 2005

a moment to vent.

The following may come across as self righteous but it bothered me so I’m gonna gripe for a second.

Today in church my very diligent second counselor, who usually takes care of sacrament was running late so I asked Jordan to see that it was set up and I went recruiting people for passing the sacrament. Now my ward has fairly limited priesthood and it is not uncommon that all but one or two of the worthy priesthood holders in the room when sacrament meeting starts will be either blessing or passing. With this in mind it really bothered me that one of the men I asked told me he would not pass the sacrament because he was sitting next to a girl. Today we had fairly good sacrament attendance and I was able to find all the people I needed but I am still bothered by this.

Part of this goes back to the fact that I firmly believe that there is little more important than the ordinance of the sacrament. I spent a year trying to instill this in the 11 and 12 year olds I worked with in my family ward and to have an elder brush off a request to help reminds me of those teen age boys who view preparing and passing the sacrament as a burden.

Perhaps part of the reason this bothers me is because the girl he was sitting with whom I supposed I had expected more of, seemed pleased with his decision rather than supportive of his priesthood obligations.

Or perhaps I am just a judgmental person with subconscious resentment of a handful of individuals who I would find a reason to disapprove of regardless of what they did.

Well, I hope my heart is pure.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ohh, I would be bothered too babe. But there is another possiblity. He might not have been worthy? And if he refused to do his duty, he made himself unworthy. Don't let the punk monkey get to ya. You work really hard to fulfill your callings, and I'm really gratful for all you (super home teacher), do. Such a good example, ahhh.

November 30, 2005 3:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Darren, I understand your ventage. It makes me sad when dudes refuse or "don't feel like" passing the sacrament, giving a blessing, or otherwise fulfilling their priesthood responsibilities. Do they know how jealous us chicks get that they have the priviledge to do that!

It's kinda why I've always looked up to you. Well, most of the time.

December 06, 2005 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home