My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Liquid Nitrogen

(more update)

(warning: the following post kind of rambles)

Back in mid December my father came home and told me he had found something he was willing to held me buy as a christmas present, and told me to guess what it was. My first guess was a sailboat, no not this month. I ventured a few more guesses and then gave up. So he told me. At the Army Navy store here in town he had seen an MVR Lab-20 liquid nitrogen dewar that appeared to be intact for a mere pitance, actualy 45 pitance, but that is still a great deal. (I did a bit of research and replacing it would run about $1000)

The next morning I took the $20 he gave me and my wallet and went to the Army Navy store. The guy who runs the store asked what the heck it was... that would be why it was only $45. that and the good chance that it didn't work. So, a few days later I took the dewar over to the local welding suply store (that is where you go to buy L2N) and told the guy that I wanted to buy a few liters of liquid nitrogen to see if my dewar was any good. He begins to fill it and I ask what It will cost, his responce is that it is kind of expensive. A minute later he asks how much I had wanted and I said "about five liters" I once again ask what that will cost. He responds by telling me that to fill the dewar would run about $80-$100 (quick math five liters for around $20, okay) not long after that L2N starts poring out the top of my dewar. The guy then looks at me and asks "were you paying cash" when I respond in the affirmitive he says " that will be ten bucks" and then helps me load up. Now I had figured liquid nitrogen at $2-$2.50 per liter so I guess I bought some liquid nitrogen that had "fallen of the back of a truck" if you know what I mean (nudge nudge wink wink)

So with 20 liters of commercial grade liquid Nitrogen I decide to call Avi who lets me know people are getting together at his house and we should do Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream. Now let me explain to you for a moment the virtues of L2N Ice Cream... Most people who have had home made ice cream agree that it is better than store bought ice cream this is because it is fresh it has no perservitives and you can make what ever flavor you want. The down side to home made ice cream is that it takes a couple hours to make, it is often softer that some people like and if the lid did not seal correctly it can end up salty. Now if you take all the good things about home made ice cream and get rid of all the bad things you have liquid nitrogen ice cream. each batch take about five minutes to make, it can be chilled to soft serve or to these super frozen ice cream nuggets depending on how you like it, and each person in the room can pick their own flavor if they want.

Anyway that night I cranked out a half dozen differant batches of ice cream rangeing from strawberry to eggnog. That was a week and a half ago and right now I still have a liter sitting in the bottom of my dewar so I guess it works fine. If you are trowing a party and want an ice cream bar just let me know I will do it for cost.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lavenderstrawbry said...

I think that is is fabulous that you can make liquid nitrogen ice cream. That sounds like a hoot. And yet, I am strangely frightened by the thought of a "Pin-a-ger"(I spelled it wrong on purpose) in possession of liquid nitrogen.

January 11, 2006 7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home