My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Feather Falls

I always want to go camping. This past week I even thought I'd get to, but my work schedule would have only let me do a simple overnighter and I didn't have much luck finding anybody to go with me overnight. I did, however, have two friends willing to going hiking with me for the day.

Tuesday morning I got of from working the overnight shift at 7:00 and drive to Crystle's place where I took the gear and food that was in my truck and moved it to her car and the the two of us went and picked up Avi. (Crystal is the girls that went camping with me over spring break and Avi is featured in the post about jewish weddings.) The weather forecasts for the day all agreed that it would be wet and the roads were in pretty bad shape but we were determined so we hit the rode about 8:45.

The drive took just over two hours, the trailhead is past lake Oroville near Yuba City. We were the only car parked at the trail and I figured we wouldn't see anybody else on the trail since the sky was drizzling on us already. The trail is a loop with the lower section running about 3.5 miles and the upper trail a mile longer, we decided we would hike in on the lower trail and if time and energy permited we would finish the loop on the way out, if not we would come out on the lower trail and save a mile on the round trip.

As we hiked in we saw salimanders crawling along at the side of the trail and lots of differant kind of mushrooms growing in the woods. The mushrooms lead to Avi and I discussing old friends from high school and the jewish and mormon perspectives on forgiveness. Crystal was most likely bored out of her mind by this topic but we tried hard to keep her close to us. By the time we got close to the Falls she wanted very much to sit and rest, so she she went to the look out and Avi and I headed to the top of the Fall itself.

The power of the Falls is truely magnificent. Avi and I roped up and went out to the very edge. The view of the canyon below way amazing and few things encourge respect and awe of nature like standing at the top of a 600 foot drop on wet rocks after only a few minuets we scrambled back up to the trail and head back to meet Crystal. I then notice I had left my walking stick back at the falls Avi balked a little but Crystal, who was there when I first picked it up understood why I decided to run back and get it.

We took the lower trail back out for two reasons the first was that Crystal was getting worn out and didn't think she could do the long hike and the second was that Avi was supposed to be back home for a family dinner at 5:00. The hike out really taxed Crystal and Avi was stressing because there was no way we could even get home by 6:00 at that point and we wouldn't have cell signal until we had been on the road for half an hour or so. I feel bad for Crystal because we kept pushing her instead of letting her stop and rest everytime she wanted to. Also the rain was really falling on us as we hiked out, my hands to really cold and even I rain gear we were all pretty well soaked by the time we got to the car.

Even with the downside we each had a good time, and we were each glad to get back to the car (well I would have been more glad to be getting back to a tent and staying but we can't always get what we want). We got back around 7:00 and Avi's Family had waited for us to join them for dinner. After that Crystal and I went and soaked in a hot tub for a half hor or so and then it was time for bed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The longest Monopoly game ever played was 1,680 hours long, that's 70 straight days!

The longest Monopoly game in a bathtub was 99 hours long.

January 04, 2006 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home