My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Monday, June 02, 2008

Day 7: Newcastle

It is a few minutes before 9:00 and I am sitting in front of the tourist information center in Newcastle. I arrived here about three hours ago and had a great first impression. I have already walked around the castle (which is getting some work done so not open) across the millenium bridge, and to all three of the city's old churches (st mary's, st. Jame's and st. Nicholas). I was only able to enter st. Nick's but I got cool pictures at all three. I am waiting to get directions to my hostel, so I can drop off my bag, and then go for a bike ride.
It is 10:00. I just got checked in and frankly was not prepared to have the choice of sleep yet. I think I am going to nap for an hour then go biking. (it was a bad idea to plan on sleeping on the bus. I only got 2 or 3 hours and that was often interupted)
It is now 3:30 and I am about to check off an item from my england list by eating genuine fish and chips, and for bonuses I am doing it sitting on a castle wall overlooking the north sea.
The chips were really nothing special. It was an excellent piece of cod about a foot long but I really should have gotten so balsamic vinegar to take with me, it just needed a bit more of something, it was also slightly oily but again, I think waiting 15 minutes to eat it may be a factor. I oldered my fish & chips with a battered and fried pineapple ring that was very tasty. I have wandered the castle ruins here at the mouth of the river tyne and discovered that wind blowing through old castles makes some very creepy noises. I am about to head back to newcastle hopefully by way of some roman ruins.
I am back at the hostel and it is going on 8:30. I went to then ruins but the gate was already closed for the night. The bike rental place was also closed for the night which was a mixed blessing, it means I will pay for the full day rather a half day, but it also allowed me to explore upper newcastle on bike. They have a complex but cool and useful network of bike overpasses and skyways as well as a tunnel under the tyne.
So I am still burning money but don't feel as bad about it for some reason. I think it is because I am getting a better value from this hostel, it costs less than the london dive did and has even better amenities then the badden powell. This means the other money is being spent on lunches out and activities.
The cool moist air here usual keeps me from feeling very thirsty so I have not done well drinking enough water. Today I forgot to take any water with me on my bike ride and so I spent ten active hours and three resting ones without drinking anything. By the time I got back here I was painfully dehydrated. I will need to build back up a reserve tonight and tomorrow, for my backpacking.
I have decided that I will stay in the lounge for a while rather than going out or to bed. I want to watch some brittish tv (mainly to see what the commercials are like since they have imported so many shows) and meet the other guests.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home