My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Monday, June 02, 2008

London: Day 6

I woke up first thing this morning and discovered that I don't want to stay here again. Bad showers, bad electric access, and room mate problems, it was just not a good hostel. After checking out I walked through the park, half heartedly looking for the gardens, on my way to church. I went to the Hyde Park family ward, which was pretty good, and learned that most sundays they have about 10 visitors in priesthood. I was particularly impress by the young men who passed sacrament.
I am in the V&A museum and just came across my second Rodin in London, this one is very different than the other pieces of his I know. It is a bust of George Windham and has life like features and a smooth finish, way different than his portrait of balzack... There are a dozen or so rodin's in this sculpture exhibit and only two seem "not Rodinish" to me George, and a small marble of cupid and psche... The muse is another piece originally from "gates of hell" in am intrigued anew that he never had it cast. Muse has the seams visible where pieces of metal were joined... Even Rodin used the fig leaf (john the baptist). Alfred Gilbert does very similar word to rodin.
There are seven Rapheal cartoons (paintings on large paper) on display in another room, done as templates for tapestries in the sistine chapel and elsewhere some gorgeous katana blades.(2:00pm London )
Well I decided to go back to churchfor the singles ward. The hope was that there would be a "break the fast" type social and I could just talk to some londoners, but no luck. I did enjoy their EQ lesson though.
It is about 6:30 and I write this as I pause hiking cross country through Hyde Park looking for Kensington Gardens. I am amused because it is real hiking, narrow single track through high grass and thick trees, and because I am wearing my church clothes a transparent rain jacket and a 35lb backpack, yet no one even seems to notice.

Well apparently you can walk through Kensington Gardens and not know it. KG is a stretch of Hyde Park that has been naturalized. In fact, I was standing in it when I wrote the last note.
Well it is 8:30 and I have gone to the buss station, checked my bags and am now sitting in a lovely little park. If it were not 1/3 of the way 'round the world I would want wedding pictures here. It turns out this is a private park and membership is £180 a year, but I was let in by a member so I am okay. I took some pictures of the flowers but there is just no way to do this park justice, it has a manicured path a natural grass tenis court and play set, aswell as nice wooden picnic sets that many couples are currently taking advantage of.
I am glad to be leaving London. I have enjoyed dropping into museums and galleries just because they are there, but the city is so exspensive, I have made every choice based on "is this a good use of my money" and "if I do this now will I have enough money to last." Newcastle is supposed to be quite a bit cheaper and I am looking forward to backpacking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home