My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Friday, May 30, 2008

London: Day 3

I slept 8 hours and came down for breakfast around 8:30. Their continental breakfast seems a lot like a build your own sandwich bar plus cereals. They offer some odd juices as well, as I eat I watch oddly shaped taxis and loris drive on the wrong side of the road.

Btw: I regret not bringing my "just in case there's ice cream" spoon. Not that there has been ice cream but bad spoons abound.

it is 1:00 and I am on the tub headed for St. Paul's and the Tate. After breakfast I tried getting some more sleep but my body was not feeling up to it, so I went for a walk. I was going to look for/ walk through Hyde Park but first I came across the Imperial College of London and saw an arrow pointing towards the Library.I was able to get a visitors pass and spent 90 minute curled up with a stack of topo's and trail guilds. The library is open 24/7 (that is so cool!) so I will go back later.
as I resumed my walk I found Kensington palace and walked around it. I did not find it all that attractive, it has a rather industrial look to it with all its brick and chimneys. however, I did like all the victorian home around it that are now embassy residences.
then I found a vintage clothing shop that was very cool and found something worth going back for after my hike, it's a charcoal jacket with purple pinstripes by harod's for £5. I kept wondering and found a tube station so here I am... More to follow.

It is 5:00 and I am on the tube headed towards the tate brittan. I briefly visited St. Paul again but was not ready to pay the £10 for full admission so I haven't seen the crypt yet. Then I crossed the bridge and spent the afternoon in the Tate modern. As I went I wrote down my most prominent thoughts some things I really liked but it is the Tate Brittish gallery that has the Sargent collection that I want to see. I left the musuem and walked over a mile in the wrong direction, found a train headed the right way and got on board.

It is 7:30 pm I am in my bunk (at least for a little while) and I did not see the Tate Brittan. The exit took was not the exit I wanted after a bit of walking I got better directions and got back on the train. I got off at westminster and walked past the abbey and parliament (where I noticed and got pictures of Rodan's "burgess of calia") when I got to the gallery it was quarter past 6 and the gallery was closed. This was annoying but the worst part was I needed a rest room and had been planing to use one at the gallery. I wondered extensively looking for one, I checked a library and mini-market, some other places as well, it is like the british don't need to pee. Eventually, I found one and the took the subway back here, for a nap or food and to go on line. Later I will go back to the college library. Now that I have been here a while I need to do some better planning.

So I ended up sleeping until about 10:30 (maybe even I experience jet lag) when four new room mates from Germany arrived and I awoke. We chatted for a while then I headed out. It seems that the only thing open in London once the sun goes down are the pubs, and of course the library. I am in the library pouring over trail guildes that had been unavailable back in the state and, considering that it is 1:00am, it is rather lively here.

Quarter past 2:00 and just about time for bed it was neat to go walking on the wet streets in the middle of the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home