My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Monday, March 20, 2006

B.I.Q.

Whether you pronounce it Bi Que, or Bic, The B.I.Q. is the Bad Idea Quotent. The last few weeks I have dedicated much time and mental energy into developing a set of calculation to analyticaly deterime if something is a bad idea.

Now I am not done yet but I have determined the catagories to be scored:

Harm, this is how it got started, I had the thought "a course of action that leads to the harm of oneself goes against the survival imperative and is therefore a worse idea then a course of action that would harm others." (Don't ask why I was thinking this) so harm has been made two distinc factors: risk of harm to self and risk of harm to others.

Punishment, this started out as jail, but I then realized that not all punishment is jail so I broadened the catagory.

Social Consequence, this catogory is complicated and is one of the major stumbling blocks to the equations, because not all relationships are equal.

the first draft used a number of 1-5 scales and some simple multiplication but it didn't allow for some important subtleties. The next draft still used the 1-5 scale and some binaries, that was better but more complicated than I wanted. I have also toyed with setting it up as a truth table but when reducing it to bianaries I figured flow chart would be better understood.

I should have a functioning prototype by the end of the week, but If you have any thought feel free to submit a comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home