My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Fun in the Sun

Thursday was just about perfect. The sun was shining, it was just shy of 80 degrees out and I got to play with my new toy.

A month ago I bought a kayak, but life has been busy and the couple of opportunities I have had, time wise, to head out to the lake have not worked out. But Thursday I was determined, the boss lady had given me the day off work and I had made arrangement to borrow a truck from my parents (I have not yet worked out transporting a ten foot kayak by bike) and I had cancelled my meeting that day (For various reasons not just because I wanted to go play).

Class got out at 11:00 and it took me an hour and a half to take care of all my on campus business (a lot of people needed to talk to me for some reason, and I had to get next weeks ICC agenda taken care of). Then it took some more time to get the boat loaded and the paddle put together. Then I needed to go and buy a life vest, but by 2:00 I was unloading out at Negro Bar on Lake Natomas.

Negro Bar was recommended to me by a friend who kayaks and it is where Sport Chalet puts on their kayaking workshops. It is the point where the river broaden to become the lake, and there are three bridges right there. When I got in the water my original plan was to cut straight across the lake, but after spending a few minute acclimating myself I changed my mind. I headed upstream under the three bridges figuring that once I got tired I would want to be going down stream to get back to the car.

I spent over an hour in the water and only went a mile or less upstream, but I learned a lot and had a lot of fun. Next time I need to take some one with some experience who can help me learn and push me a bit, but it was nice having just me, my kayak and the water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home