My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day 15: Greenwich London

This morning I packed my bags and did inventory, I am missing a pair of socks the hand towels, and Dallas' battery charger. I left the battery charger at the Hyde Park before going north certain that would be a safe place for it, but when I checked at FHE I could not find it. Other than that I am ready to take off. I took the bag to the baden powell and went out to greenwich. I got off the train with know idea where I was or where I needed to be but after a nice amble and directions from a local I found St. Alphages parish church (the church many of my ancestors attended). The old courtyard is now a driveway but all the headstones are still there. They have been arranged two deep as a fence around the church. Unfortunately almost none are ledgable. I was able to go in and look around but the old church records are not available. This was disappointing but not surprising, I still feel good about going.
From there I headed to the maritime museum and royal observatory. The maritime museum was a let down for me but I loved the observatory. I got to see all the instruments used by the famous early astronomers and I got a picture of me stradling the prime meridian. They also have a camera obscura which was cool (it would be a good place to sneak a kiss and made me miss Ryann).
I had planned to go from there to the british museum, but I saw something that mentioned the Thames Barrier and decided to go check it out. The barrier has interested me since I first learned of it, but it took a lot to get to it and I didn't get to see it in action. I then hopped a bus that would take me all the way to the british museum I enjoyed sitting upstairs on the bus as we drove a meadering course across the city, but when we got to the museum I just didn't have time to see it. I needed to be on a 4:40 train if I was going to do a temple session (that is not entirely true but was my perseption).
The London Temple is not in London. It is an hour by train from the city to Lingfield and then a 35 minute walk from that village to the temple. I hear most people arrange a taxi from the train, but the taxi is a 15 minute wait so I just walked. On the walk the back of my lest hand had a bad run in with stinging nettles, but I toughed it out and got to the temple in time for the 7:00 session.
The temple is nice but lacks some of the elegance of other temples I have been in. My session only had 11 people in attendance and that was kind of sad. However one of those people was from the ward I visited in York and afterwards he gave me a ride to the train, which is where I am writing this.
It is odd to think I am done with this trip. In the morning I will go directly to the airport and then head home. I am very excited to see Ryann but it seems strange to be gng back to the real world after two weeks of being on an adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home