My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day 13: York

Last night I was in a full 8 bed dorm room and this morning it was a bit crowded as everyone got going. The Hostel serves an english breakfast buffet style and I took advantage of that then checked out. I left my large bag in there luggage room and told them I might be back for the night but would not know until later.
I walked the mile or so to church and found my feet were still not happy, in fact I had a full blown limp by the time I got to church. The York 2nd ward is a good one, the people ARE WARM AND FRIENDLY AND THE TEACHERS WERE VERY ENGAGING... I THINK i MAY HAVE SAID ALMOST THAT SAME THING AFTER THE WARDS IN hYDE pARK. ONE OF THE SACRAMENT TALKS WAS ON marriage and it made me wish Ryann was with me.
after church I asked some people about the best way to get to London and was told to take the Grand Central Train that would be at platform 5 at 8:wp in the morning, they said it would only be a bit more than the bus but would be faster and more comfortable.
When I set off into talk I had barely gone a block when I saw a sign that said "windmill open" and pointed up a hill, intrigued I went up the hill. At the top I found a brick tower that had been a georgian era windmill. It was managed by volunteers, who let me in even though I did not have the admission fee on me. The site is wonderful and when they get the cap and sails put back on next year it will be even better. I thought of Dad as I looked at the massive gears and shafts, I think he would have really enjoyed it.
I then went back inside the walls of York and wandered the old city a while. Minster is lovely and there was an open air market today. I also popped into some book and jewelry shops. I was really just wandering but I liked what I saw. The weather was great and I am glad I came here.
Once things started to close down I followed the river walk back to the hostel and visited with some IU students who are also passing through York. They had climbed the Minster tower today and I was very bummed when they told me about it because I had not even thought to go into the church and according to them it is the best in the UK.
Once our visit wound down I headed off to bed with a mug of coco, It has been a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home