My Daze in Neverland

The Adventures of Darren in Neverland and the surrounding territories

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

I am a 27 years old, 6'3" tall, little kid. I am a full time student and Part time wandering adventurer.In august I finally went on my big hundred mile hike. I share an apartment with one of my brothers. (I have seven of them [brothers, that is, not apartments] and one sister) This year I intend to expand my adventuring repertoire to include Sailing and Canyoneering. backpacking trip this summer.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Elders Quorum

I am Mormon. One of the things you might not know about the LDS church is that no one is paid and no one is a volenteer, everyone is "called." You can turn down a calling but I believe that most callings come from inspiration and though it may be a challenge all callings bring blessings. Another Back ground item is that there are two types of Wards or congregations, Family wards, and singles wards these are self explanitory. I have never been a big fan of singles wards.
Now that you have the background here it goes...

I was called to be in the elders quorum presidency of the local singles ward a few weeks back. I prayed alot about it before excepting the calling and felt that the lord wanted me there because there were people to serve and it would help me to grow, so I took thew calling. So for the past month I have been attending the singles ward with its forty precious souls, and there are some good things to say about the ward.

First is that this really are more oportunities to serve people, not because it is a singles ward per se but because it is such a small ward. In the past month I have been able to bless and pass the sacrament sveral times witch is something I hadn't done since the mission days.

Second is the bishopric. bishop Larson and his councelors are awesome. I already feel closer to them then I did to my family ward bishop. once again this could be related to how small the ward is, but I think that it is more than that.

Lastly is Elders Quorum in the singles ward is the one thing I have always liked about the single ward. They don't alway stick to the scheduled lesson but it is always a good lesson and geared to me, rather than to the wife and kids crowd.

Last week I had my first chance to teach the lesson in Elders Quorum. It went okay but should have been longer. I have only taught sundayschool lessons to childern while in the family ward and their lessons have much less content. I know I can do this and I know that it will help me grow. In the mean time I simply need to learn to be happy about being in a singles ward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home